Walking is one of the easiest ways to get fit – and offers an excellent way to enjoy a holiday with friends or family.
If you are keen to book a walking holiday with Pinnacle Walking Holiday, or have a long distance walk planned, pledge to get a little fitter and enjoy more walking.
Here is the Pinnacle guide to helping you get fit for a walking holiday in 2020.
Why is Walking Good for You?
Walking has a number of physical benefits including improved cardiovascular and muscular health, as well as weight loss. Walking has also been shown to reduce the chances of depression and to fight dementia and Alzheimer’s.
In the long winter days, especially at the start of the year in the UK and Europe, walking can be a great way to boost feel-good hormones. Even 20 to 30 minutes of daylight while walking can be a huge mood improver. As we move into spring and summer, the lighter nights are a natural motivator to get out there!
How to Fit in a Bit of Walking
One of the most common excuses for avoiding exercise is a lack of time. But there are many different ways to fit a bit of walking into your everyday life.
It’s important to start with easy walks and to build up your mileage carefully. Even 15 minutes of walking a day, three times per week, to start with, will be beneficial.
Top Tips for Walking a Little More
- Get up 15 to 30 minutes earlier and head out for an early morning brisk walk.
- Walk the kids to school.
- Get off the bus or train, or park the car, a mile or two from the office and walk the rest of the commute.
- Walk and talk at work instead of sitting in an office for a meeting.
- Go for a lunchtime walk before or after eating.
- Walk to the shops/swimming pool/into town instead of taking the car on shorter journeys.
- Encourage family fitness by walking new routes and trails at weekends.
- Walk in new places and discover different routes.