It would not be right to go on a walk without a slice of cake and a big favourite with Pinnacle Walking Holidays‘ guests is Paradise Slice. It is one of the best high energy cakes I have tried and it is full of fruit, goes down well with a brew. Cakes are always a big hit on a walking holiday and this cake is simple and easy to follow.
Ingredients for Paradise Slice
- 8 oz short crust pastry
- Raspberry jam
- 4 oz margarine
- 4 oz caster sugar (4 rounded tablespoons granulated sugar)
- 2 tablespoons of sultanas
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped glacé cherries
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- Vanilla essence (extract)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Caster sugar (granulated sugar) for dusting.
Preparation Method: Paradise Slice
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use it to line a greased 11 inch by 7 inch baking tin.
- Bake this initially on its own in a pre-heated oven for ten minutes at 350F/175C/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together and stir in a beaten egg, cherries, walnuts, sultanas and almonds.
- Add the vanilla essence/extract and mix well.
- Spread a layer of raspberry jam on the bottom of the pastry case (after the ten minute baking) and spoon in the mixture on top of the jam.
- Bake for 30/35 minutes.
- On removing it from the oven, sprinkle with sugar and leave to cool in the tin.
- When it is cold, remove from the tin and cut into squares.
The good thing about high energy cakes is you don’t feel too guilty having a second piece.