As the signs of spring start to show my thoughts turn to recipes for the Alps walking holidays, I recently tried this lovely recipe using Hot Cross Buns and it turned out really well.
I call this Bread and Bun pudding, and serve it with custard, but on our Alps walking breaks I will probably use Crème Fraiche. I hope you like my recipe.
Everyone loves Hot Cross buns they smell so spicy and are good toasted spread with butter. In the Alps they are similar to Brioche so, when there, I will use them instead of Hot Cross Buns.
Ingredients for Hot Cross Bread Bun Pudding
- 300ml pot double cream
- 600ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 8 hot cross buns
- 40g soft butter
- 100g marzipan, cubed
- 3 tbsp. chunky marmalade
- icing sugar, for dusting
How to Make Hot Cross Bread Bun Pudding
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
- Warm the cream and milk in a pan over a gentle heat. Whisk the eggs; sugar and vanilla together with a fork in a large bowl, and then gradually add the warm cream mixture.
- Halve the buns and spread with the butter. Arrange in a large shallow ovenproof dish (approx. 25 x 32cm), dot with the marzipan and brush the marmalade on top.
- Pour over the cream mixture and set aside to soak for 15 mins. Press the buns down into the custard mixture as they soften.
- Bake for 50 mins until set, then remove and allow to stand for 10 mins.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve while still warm.