WALKING HOLIDAY GRADES
We classify the majority of our French Alps Walking Holidays as MODERATE: This means a walk of five to six hours. The walk will have some steep sections over rough and rocky terrain, but usually on well made paths. Visit our blog to read the Walking Tour Diary of one of our walking holidays in the French Alps.
The weather or group dynamics may dictate a change in our walking plans; consequently the plan may include EASY or STRENUOUS walks.
- An easy walk is usually four to five hours at a relaxed pace, taking in the flora and fauna en-route. Gradients are gentle and are on well trodden paths.
- A strenuous walk will cover longer distances with sustained ascents and descents often rough underfoot. Strenuous walks are generally over six hours so a good level of fitness is required.
We always walk at the pace of the slowest person and like to give guests the opportunity to take in the beauty of the surroundings.
EQUIPMENT AND CLOTHING, WHAT TO BRING
- Walking boots or shoes with good cleats in the soles.
- Walking socks.
- Windproof tops.
- Walking trousers.
- Waterproof jacket and trousers.
- Hat and gloves.
- Sun hat.
- Day rucksack.
- Walking poles; optional.
- Flask and water-bottle.
- Sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Camera and binoculars optional.
- Map; optional – IGN Carte de Randonnee 3630 0T.
To fully enjoy your walking holiday in the French Alps some of the walking tours will involve taking local transport, hence we recommend a lift pass; this is not included in the holiday price.
Currency: Here is our recommendation for buying your Euros.