I’ve been making cakes for years and everyone loves this remarkable recipe for an easy Apple Cake.
On our Peak District short breaks guests love to come back to the smell of homemade cake. The apples can be windfalls or even shrivelled ones from the fruit bowl. Serve warm with ice cream or crème fraîche as a dessert, or with afternoon team dusted with icing sugar.
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY APPLE CAKE
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 150g butter, melted
- 250g cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 25g flaked almonds
HOW TO MAKE EASY APPLE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Lightly grease a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract and melted butter into a bowl. Mix well until blended, then beat for a minute.
- Spread half this mixture in the prepared tin.
- Thickly slice the apples and lay on top of the mixture in the tin, piling mostly towards the centre.
- Using 2 dessert spoons, roughly spoon the remaining mixture over the apples. This is an awkward thing to do, but just make sure that the mixture covers the centre well as it will spread out in the oven.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1¼-1½ hours until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.